Called to the Bar of England and Wales in 2014, Natalia is a Russian-speaking English barrister authorised to practice in England & Wales whether on her own or led by Senior Counsel Timothy Frith.
Natalia acts as an international arbitrator and arbitration advocate. She deals with international and cross-border commercial disputes in English courts and international arbitration.
Her particular interests and practice areas include international arbitration; international commercial litigation and mediation related to commercial contracts; the sale and carriage of goods; trading, banking, investments; private international law; public international law; cross-border insolvency; international civil fraud & enforcement; company and shareholder disputes; trusts, asset-tracing and recovery.
She is often instructed to deal with disputes related to questions of jurisdiction and conflict of laws, applications to serve out of jurisdiction, loan agreements, contract disputes, bankruptcy / insolvency matters.
Natalia is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb) and is willing to act as an international arbitrator or advocate in both ad hoc and institutional arbitrations, including under LCIA, ICC, SCC (Stockholm), HKIAC, SIAC, TIAC, IAC AIFC and other institutional rules, as well as under UNCITRAL Rules. She has experience in acting as an arbitrator in the AIFC International Arbitration Centre administered arbitration and she can also willingly act as an emergency arbitrator or under expedited procedure provisions.
As an English law barrister, Natalia can be instructed to deal with the interpretation of dispute resolution or arbitration clause/agreements; questions of jurisdiction and applicable law; interim remedies in arbitrations; conduct of hearings both virtually and in person and other related matters; accept instructions in all commercial matters; draft pleadings / statements of case (particulars of claim / statement of claim, defence, etc); handle applications to serve out of jurisdiction; advise on substantive English law or procedural matters.
Natalia is also experienced in appearing at hearings for interim remedies, procedural applications, case management directions and trials. She is direct-access qualified and can accept instructions directly from clients. Natalia has rights of audience and can appear before the Astana International Financial Centre (AIFC) Court.
Her experience at the Bar in dealing with international cases and appearing in higher courts in her own right is complemented by her extensive academic experience. Having completed two PhDs in law, one in the UK and one in Russia, prior to joining the Bar, Natalia was a university lecturer. Her ability to extensively analyse and research issues enables her to excel in dealing with legally or factually complex matters.
Furthermore, Natalia’s possesses excellent client care skills and experience in dealing with foreign/overseas clients, she understands the needs of clients and foreign lawyers having diverse cultural and language backgrounds; assist them in navigating through the English legal system or legal profession in the UK; apply her language skills in her work on international or multi-jurisdictional cases;
Natalia is very active in developing work and professional contacts throughout Russia – CIS / FSU region, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia and Kazakhstan, The Russian Federation, Ukraine and Uzbekistan and expanding her practice with Southeast Asian, Latin American and European regions.
Natalia is a native Russian speaker and is further proficient in English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, German and Dutch.
- BPTC, University of Law, Birmingham
- PhD in International Law, University of Birmingham
- PhD in Constitutional Law, Moscow State Institute of International Relations (MGIMO University)
- LLM, International Commercial Practice, University of Law
- LLM in International Law with International Relations, University of Kent at Brussels
- PGCE in Public International Law, University of Kent at Brussels
- LLB, University of London
- Combined BA and MA in International Journalism, Moscow State Institute of International Relations (MGIMO University)
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- The Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
- International Law Association (ILA)
- London Common Law & Commercial Bar Association
- Bar European Group
- Young International Arbitration Group of LCIA
- British-Russian Law Association
- Russian and CIS Arbitration Network (RCAN)
- Russian Speaking Legal Professionals’ Forum (RusFor)
- British-Kazakh Society (member of the Law Committee)
- British-Kazakh Law Association
- British-Spanish Law Association
- International Dispute Resolution Network (IDRN)