The natural gas resources recently discovered in Cyprus are expected to make a substantial contribution to the energy security and development of the region. However, in order to limit the risks that may arise from the non-sustainable exploitation of the said natural resources and regulate the environmental and economic implications of energy ventures, Cyprus has put in place a legal framework, which is being reviewed in order to reflect the changing and challenging aspects of the energy sector.
It is to be noted that the legal framework, regulating the energy sector in Cyprus, spans across multiple practice areas and includes national laws, EU regulations, as well as multilateral and bilateral agreements. Therefore we have deemed essential to proceed with the appointment of a specialized team in order to provide the most efficient solution to the challenges the companies, interested in entering the energy market in Cyprus, face.
Our practice is driven by our ability to solicit and combine specialist expertise on a variety of areas, in order to provide the most appropriate and comprehensive solution to cases and requests relating to the energy sector.
We advice on a wide range of issues and transactions that may be required in an energy venture, such as:
- oil & gas exploration, licensing and regulation;
- electricity production and distribution;
- renewable energy resources matter;
- climate change and environmental legal aspects;
- commercial and corporate advice on energy matters;
- corporate structuring;
- energy taxation;
- energy merges & acquisitions;
- shareholders relationships;
- regulatory compliance;
- mergers and acquisitions;
- commercial contracts;
- energy taxation issues;
- dispute resolution;
- competition matters in the energy sector etc.