Timothy Frith is a highly experienced barrister (call 1996, Middle Temple) who acts in international and offshore cases. Tim is currently heading the AGP Law Litigation, Arbitration & Mediation practice in England & Wales, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, and Dubai (DIFC). He has been called to the Bars of England & Wales, Bermuda and British Virgin Islands and he is a registered legal practitioner in Dubai DIFC. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a CEDR accredited mediator.
Tim has a strong Commercial, Corporate, and Trust practice with expertise in complex multi-jurisdictional high value work. He has represented international clients in a wide range of jurisdictions in Court, Arbitration and Mediation.
He has worked in law firms in Singapore, Bermuda and the BVI and understands that good client skills and effective teamwork are essential in achieving the best results for a client. In an effort to best serve our clients’ international litigation management requirements, Tim is also heading a team of 7 to 10 barristers of the offshore practice of Lamb Chambers in London, in an effective teamwork effort at a multinational environment level, which complex cases require.
Tim’s Practice Areas include all the following:
Commercial & Corporate: Agency, Agriculture, Banking & Finance, Business Disputes, Commercial Contracts for Sale of Goods and Services, Construction, Insurance, Joint Ventures, Partnership, Restructuring Disputes, Shareholders Disputes and Minority Shareholders’ claims, Sport, Telecommunications, Wet & Dry Shipping.
Chancery & Insolvency: Contentious Probate, Trust Disputes, Personal and Corporate Insolvency and Restructuring.
Common Law: Defamation, Professional Negligence, Economic Torts, Tortious claims Involving Businesses and Individuals.
Disciplinary Tribunals: Involving Professional Regulation and Sport.
Tim has been a Senior Lecturer of Law at the University of Law, London, during 2018-2019.
He is fluent in English and Spanish.
- Called to the Bar of England & Wales, November 1996 (Middle Temple)
- Called to the BVI Bar (October 2015)
- Called to the Bar of Bermuda (September 2013)
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (2004)
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (2008)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators [Malaysia]
- Registered Associate Bermuda Bar (September 2012)
- CEDR Accredited Mediator (Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution) (2004)
- Licensed by BSB to Provide Direct Access and Litigation Services (2021)
- Senior Lecturer the University of Law (2018-2019)
- Lecturer (Part-Time) (BPP Law School) (2004-5)
- Direct Public Access Certification (College of Law) (2004)
- Diploma in International Arbitration (2003)
- Currently representing management investment partners in trust claim which is central to the disputed control of a multinational company with a capitalisation of $40billion and $200billion assets under management. Hearings and Meetings in Bermuda, Toronto, New York and London.
- Acted for five ex partners of Hay Group in claim against the Bermuda holding company following sale of holding company to Korn Ferry for $245 million.
- Acting for members of Saudi Family in high value dispute (estimated US$118 million) concerning unlawful divestiture of shares in Bermuda holding company. Obtained interim injunction in June 2016
- Acting for Attorney General of Bermuda and Minister of Transport and Tourism on a defamation action against the leader of the opposition in Supreme Court and Court of Appeal.
- Acting for Premier of Bermuda in Defamation action in Supreme Court and Court of Appeal.
- Advised Bermuda Government on establishment of Tourism Authority and chief draftsman of Tourism Authority Act 2013.
- Acting for Speaker of the House of Assembly on proposed Parliamentary Procedure (Amendment) Act.
- Acting for Bermudian Fund Manager and a Trust Company in a $10million dispute concerning the sale and purchase of a fund management company. Supreme Court proceedings and mediation in Bermuda.
- Advised with regard to priority disputes in the liquidation of investment funds linked to the Madoff Ponzi Scheme.
- Drafted and appeared on a construction summons in extensive family property and trust dispute.
- Acting as lead lawyer in a Bermudian dispute for a declaration that a $100million portfolio of shares in Canadian Companies is held on trust for a South African businessman.
- Advised in a Minority Shareholder Dispute involving a $200 million oil rig purchase in Norway.
- Representing US Creditors in Bankruptcy of Canadian Businessman in Bermuda following collapse of Elephant and Castle restaurant chain in USA and Canada.
- Acted on ICC Arbitration for an oil industry supplier and consultant against an Argentine well capping explosive supplier.
- Judicial review of minister of finance on a TIEA application in Bermuda.
- Acted on behalf of a Spanish property company against Bermudian guarantor for rent arrears of cinema complex in Madrid. Hearings in Bermuda. Meetings in Madrid and London.
- Acted for a New York Finance House against Bermudian guarantor involving preliminary issues of Canadian Law.
- Southern Rock Insurance Co Ltd v Endsleigh Insurance acted as junior in claim by offshore insurance company for the negligence of the claims handling company. Instructed by Hogan Lovells.
- Represented a Jordanian distributor in four linked arbitrations against Johnson & Johnson (Middle East) with settlement conferences in Dubai and Jordan.
- Represented a Jordanian Distributor against Beechams International in an ICC arbitration involving hearings and meetings in London, Dubai and Jordan.
- Acted for Spanish equity fund in company shareholder dispute concerning restaurants in Regent’s park and Canary Wharf.
- Acted for four sets of Defendants in a series of Claims in the Queen’s Bench Division by the Administrators of a finance company for indemnity payments from company directors under warranty documents.
- Acted for BT on a commercial fraud case linked to the dishonest resale of telecommunication services.
- Acted for equity investor in claim against EMG Holdings to recover funds frozen in Malaysia.
- Acted on a commercial fraud case involving the dishonest obtaining of loans and failure of the company involved to effect the required security documentation.
- Represented Spanish lawyers in an application to clear charges on HM Land registry that were dishonestly obtained as part of a fraud involving the sale of a nightclub in Tenerife.
- Acted for subcontractor in dispute associated with the fitting out of office space in Canary Warf development.
- Represented Claimants in a multiparty action in the Chancery Division concerning “the theft of the business” of a plastics recycling and waste disposal business. [Breach of restrictive covenants, misuse of confidential information and client lists].
- Acted for quarry owners in a claim arising out of arson which delayed ongoing diversification works.
- Acted for a Spanish thread manufacturer in the Queen’s Bench Division in a dispute concerning the quality of moquette fabric for the mass transport industry.
- Bristol University LLM (Commercial Law) (2000-2003)
- Pegasus Scholarship (Singapore) 1999
- The Bar Vocational Course (1995-6)
- The Inns of Court School of Law
- The Common Professional Examination (1994-5)
- The College of Law (Guildford)
- St Andrews University MA (Hons) IIi History (1987-1991)
- Middle Temple
- England & Wales Bar Association
- Bermuda Bar Association
- British Virgin Islands Bar Association
- IBA (International Bar Association)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- CLA (Country Land & Business Association) - Legal and Parliamentary Committee (2009-2012), Chairman, Surrey Branch (2010-2012), Vice Chairman, Surrey Branch (2007-2010)
What they say
Tim is a Class Act
Principal Client in long running joint venture dispute valued at $300m
At all times I found Tim intimately connected with the case, prompt, profesional and his advice to the Trust was near-flawless. I have encountered many dozens of lawyers in a long law enforcement career and now private sector career and it was refreshing to experience Tim who at all times exuded confidence, care, diligence and professionalism-something I have rarely seen.
Former Commissioner of Police in Bermuda regarding High Value Bermuda Trust Case
My Canadian Counsel has had reason to be in regular contact with Tim. In all of his and my dealings with Timothy Frith we have found him to be very profesional and are particularly impressed with his ability to collaborate with other co-defendants.
Global Chairman of Asset Manager in dispute linked to control of a corporation with $200 billion under management.
At all times, I consider that Tim acted very effectively and in our best interest, and it was therefore clear to both of us that he is an accomplished barrister and lawyer.
Client in dispute concerning sale of Hedge Fund to US investors.