Michael specialises in corporate and commercial, contract, negligence, shipping and maritime, oil and gas and renewable technology matters; he is also a specialist in intellectual property having sealed patents for significant new technologies worldwide.
Michael advises on a number of legal areas with a global client base. He has over 30 years of practicing experience in the fields of business law with a particular specialization in contracts and corporate law (transactions; advising banks, entrepreneurs and businesses; trusts and foundations; including the most complex intellectual property M&A and tax structures globally). In addition, in the last decade Michael focused on shipping as well as on the oil and gas and renewable energy sectors.
Michael was born in Wales. He graduated from the University of Wales with a BSc Econ in Law, Economics and Politics before receiving an LL.M from Reading University. After studying in England for the Bar he worked as a member of the Crown Prosecution Service, prosecuting for the Crown Court section. He then moved into academic life, becoming lecturer then Senior Tutor in Law at Leicester University but also guest visiting associate professor at some of the world’s top universities, such as Harvard, Warsaw, and the Sorbonne. Michael moved to Cyprus as legal consultant in the early 2000s and remained active in practice ever since. He wrote a number of legal texts, including the groundbreaking Textbook on Medical Law, as well as works for the BMA and the GMC and has co-authored on Professional Liability, Law and Insurance for Lloyds of London.
He was also an adviser to private practice on quantum calculations in major medical negligence cases.
Michael has an extensive list of publications in many legal areas.
- Barrister at Law (1989), Gray’s Inn (NP)
- Member of the International Bar Association
- Member of ITPA
- LL.M (Hons), University of Reading
- BSc (Econ) (Hons) Law/Politics/Economics, University of Wales
- Acted as an Independent Consultant to parties including global Russian-owned enterprise (ESN Group), UK financial services company, TMS International Limited, New Heat International Ltd, Puls8 Ltd, Galvin Investment Limited, Gilman Metals LLC
- Instructed by Freshfields to provide legal opinion on close-out and netting agreements GESLA and OSLA) for Securities Lending and Repo Committee of Bank of England
- Instructed by Clifford Chance to provide pledge agreements and legal opinions pursuant to facility to purchase majority stake in Vodka production company
- Instructed by Travers Smith and Evolution Group to provide legal and tax opinions and assist in drafting prospectus, back-end and allied option agreements for AIM listing real estate fund
- Instructed by Venture One Group to draft prospectus and back-end documentation for BVI closed-end real estate fund
- Instructed by Deutsche Bank on securities documentation for Euro 300,000,000 facility to purchase shares in telecommunications target
- All legal work related to 8.7 billion credit facility for Galvin Investments Ltd, Gilman Metals LLC and Credit Suisse