Angelos was born in Limassol, Cyprus. He graduated in law from London Southbank University, was awarded an LL.M in Commercial & Corporate Law from University College London (UCL) and he is a Barrister-at-Law of Gray’s Inn, London (2001). He is the managing director of AGP Law Firm and the AGP Group of Fiduciary Services.
Angelos is a person of strong personality, hard worker and motivated for success, effective team leader and able to inspire, influential and highly knowledgeable of what he is dealing with.
Angelos is heading the AGP Commercial & Corporate Practice; he has many years of experience on corporate and commercial areas of the law, both in consulting and in representing clients in complex and high profile disputes in District and Supreme Courts, as well as on International Arbitration centers. He is a registered trust and estate practitioner, member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), holder of the title TEP, and an authorised Insolvency Practitioner member of the Association of Insolvency Practitioners of Cyprus since 2015.
Additionally to the above, Angelos is also a lead member of the AGP Financial Regulation & Advisory Practice, representing local and international Investment Firms and Payment Institutions.
Angelos further handles matters involving local and international tax, trusts & trustee matters, corporate structuring, finance & banking law, real estate and foreign investments in Cyprus. He advises on a wide range of tax and estate matters, including creating structures to hold assets, minimise tax and maximise protection of such assets. He frequently acts for high-net-worth and ultra-high-net-worth individuals, entrepreneurs and companies.
Angelos is fluent in English and Greek.
Litigation Star ranked by Benchmark Litigation Europe 2022
IFLR1000 | Highly regarded in Financial and Corporate | Cyprus | 2021-22
Recognized by Best Lawyers 2021-22
Ranked in Chambers Europe 2018 on Dispute Resolution
Recommended by the Legal 500 EMEA 2012-2018
Leading Lawyer on Financial & Corporate Law by IFLR1000 | 2020 Rankings
Recognized by Best Lawyers since 2015
2018 Leading Complex Commercial and Corporate Law Adviser Awards - Angelos Paphitis
Finance Monthly CEO Awards 2018 Winner
Listed in Top 100 Lawyers by LegalComprehensive.Com
Certified Will Writing Practitioner by STEP
Ranked in Chambers Europe 2017 on Dispute Resolution
Listed in Top 25 Lawyers in Cyprus
- Barrister at Law (2001), Gray's Inn, London, UK
- Called to the Cyprus Bar (2004), Cyprus Bar Association
- Registered Trust and Estate Practitioner (STEP), holder of TEP title (since 2005)
- International Tax Planning Association (ITPA), certified member (since 2005)
- Insolvency Practitioner, member of the Cyprus Insolvency Practitioners Association (since 2015)
- Acting on behalf of a Russian OJSC, a major logistic and transporting public company in Russia, in aid and support of arbitration proceedings filed at the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), have successfully obtained interim prohibitory orders against two Cypriot companies who together hold 49.9% in the OJSC's capital, prohibiting them from exercising their majority shareholders' rights during an AGM of the OJSC, securing a $1.4 billion debt owed by the Parent company of the said two Cypriot companies towards the OJSC, following an leveraged buyout agreement that was concluded during 2012. For more information click here.
- Representing a large Russian production Group, held by a number of Cyprus private companies, have objected on multiple applications filed by a minority shareholder for the appointment of an interim receiver / manager in an attempt -by the minority shareholder- to take control and/or protect and/or preserve the group's assets in Russia.
- Acting on behalf of 77 investors against Banc de Binary investment group and its owners and managers for fraud, financial fraud and conspiracy with an intention to defraud, in Cyprus.
- Representing an Electronic Money Institution (EMI) in Cyprus against the Central Bank of Cyprus for violation of our client's rights, due excessive delay from the Central Bank's side that have caused damage to our client.
- Representing two private investors on the potential acquisition of a majority stake in a private hospital in Cyprus on a €30 million deal.
- Representing a Russian ultra-high net worth individual of the Russian Forbes billionaire list, in connection with disputes in Cyprus over matrimonial assets.
- Represented Mr Sergey Mayzus and his group of companies (OKPAY and Moneypolo), been victims of the BTC-E scandal and a conspiracy well-orchestrated against them by a number of criminal money launderers, which resulted to fatal reputational damage and substantial losses to our clients. Following legal action filed before the District Court of Limassol (Cyprus) our clients have successfully proved their case and been awarded compensations of just over €38 million. For more information click here.
- Represented 5 out of 14 Defendants in a legal action against a group of Cypriot, Russian, and offshore companies and individuals, for alleged corporate fraud, deceit, conspiracy to injure. The claim is for €25 million, and prohibitory injunctions have been issued against our clients on an ex-parte (without notice) basis. Have successfully opposed the interim orders the court, having decided on our favor, has cancelled the interim order and rejected the Applicants' petition.
- Engaged by a Cyprus Holding company of a large Russian group, in a claim of 47 million euro, submitted by a business associate/partner of the group alleging violation of a Put Option and Call Option agreement. The claimant attempted to freeze our clients’ bank accounts and assets up to the value of the claim (i.e. up to 47 million). Having submitted an objection to the claimant’s application for interim order, the application as well as the action was withdrawn and rejected by the court.
- Representing a Ukrainian business woman, have successful appointed on an ex-parte basis an Interim Receiver/Manager over 5 Cyprus companies, which in turn hold shares in over 40 Ukrainian companies, in the agriculture business.
- LL.B (Hons) Law, London South Bank University
- LL.M (Commercial & Corporate Law), UCL, University of London
- BVC (Barrister), Bar Vocational Course, City University, London – Inns of Court School of Law
- PgD (International Tax Law), Rober Kennedy College, Zurich
- Cyprus Bar Association,
- Limassol Bar Association,
- Honorable Society of Gray’s Inn, London,
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP),
- Cyprus Insolvency Practitioners Association,
- International Bar Association,
- International Tax Planning Association,
- International Law Office,
- International Trademarks Association,
- Cyprus – Russia Business Association,
- Cyprus – China Business Association,
- Cyprus Chamber of Commerce and Industry,
- Limassol Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
What they say
Angelos is a very professional lawyer. I cooperated with Angelos for more than 10 years and can recommend him as totally reliable and responsible partner.
Arsene D., Head of Legal Department at Association of Advocates, Moscow.
Angelos and his team have provided Hatch Energy Group with first class legal and financial support during the formation of our Group Corporate Head Quarters in Cyprus.
Steve Hatch, Managing Director, Hatch Energy Group
Angelos is a very experienced professional advocate and legal advisor. He's been assisting us in a number of complicated projects and always supported us with perfectly performed ideas. By now Angelos provides legal and corporate servicing for us with the highest level of professionalism and confidentiality. He always brings the solution you need.
Nikita Y, Director of Energy Group, Ukraine
Angelos Paphitis is a highly experienced and proactive lawyer, able to provide services that are practical, commercial-minded and tailored to clients’ needs.
IFLR1000 2020 edition
Very knowledgeable man in his field of expertise, very attentive and professional.
IFLR1000 2020 edition
Brilliant legal knowledge, unique managerial functions and great leader of the company.
IFLR1000 2020 edition
Angelos is proactive and knows the answers to any questions almost instantly. - Private equity client
IFLR1000 2021 Edition
We have been working closely with Angelos Paphitis for nearly 15 years now. He is a very knowledgeable, strategic and highly active lawyer. Apart from being an exceptional lawyer, he also sees the business side of our tasks which is truly helpful. He is an outstanding professional and a highly skilled advocate.
Legal500 EMEA 2022 Edition
Excellent communication, trustful, relations and a must-do approach.
IFLR1000 2021 Edition
‘We have been working closely with Angelos Paphitis for nearly 15 years now. He is a very knowledgeable, strategic and highly active lawyer. Apart from being an exceptional lawyer, he also sees the business side of our tasks which is truly helpful. He is an outstanding professional and a highly skilled advocate.
Legal500 EMEA 2022 Edition