Called to the Bar of England & Wales (2001), Gray’s Inn (NP), and the Cyprus Bar (2004), Angelos has extensive litigation and advisory experience primarily on complex corporate and commercial disputes and injunctions. From a business perspective, Angelos has structured and negotiated countless commercial transactions, and having been a true leader and a pioneer of the financial services and fintech industries in Cyprus, he epitomizes the perfect combination. Angelos is the Managing Partner of AGP Law and a hugely passionate lawyer.
Angelos is a person of strong personality, a hard worker motivated for success, an effective team leader who is able to inspire, influential and highly knowledgeable of what he is dealing with. His work ethic, commitment, attention to detail and tenacious approach towards all of his clients has marked him out from his earliest years in practice.
He heads the firm’s Corporate and Commercial Practice; he has a wealth of specialist knowledge on corporate and commercial areas of the law, both in transactional projects as well as in litigation. He is recognized as a leading individual in the legal directories, Chambers Europe, Legal 500 and IFLR1000, for his expertise in commercial and corporate law, tax, banking & finance, and financial services regulatory.
In terms of litigation, Angelos appears in complex and high-profile disputes before all courts in Cyprus (District and Supreme Courts), as well as in international commercial arbitrations (including in the LCIA and ICC). He has a particular interest in cases involving ex-parte injunctions and injunctive reliefs, whether in support of domestic or foreign disputes.
Furthermore, Angelos is the joint head of the FS Regulatory & Fintech Practice of the Firm, representing local and international Tech companies, Investment Firms, e-banks, and FS Institutions.
He is an authorized Insolvency Practitioner (Liquidator) and an active member of the Association of Insolvency Practitioners of Cyprus since 2015, with over 200 insolvency appointments. He is a professional Trustee, registered Trust and Estate Practitioner and a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners of the UK (STEP), a holder of the title TEP since 2005 (click here), with over 2 billion euro worth of assets held under trust and over 250 trustee appointments since 2005.
Angelos further advises on local and international tax and corporate structuring, on medium and large-scale real estate matters and, on foreign investments to Cyprus. He frequently acts for high-net-worth and ultra-high-net-worth individuals, entrepreneurs, and companies.
Angelos is fluent in English and Greek.
IFLR1000 | Highly regarded in Corporate and M&A | Cyprus | 2023
General Business Law: Dispute Resolution in Cyprus Legal Rankings 2023
Litigation Star ranked by Benchmark Litigation Europe 2022
IFLR1000 | Highly regarded in Financial and Corporate | Cyprus | 2021-22
Recognized by Best Lawyers 2021-22
Ranked in Chambers Europe 2018 on Dispute Resolution
Recommended by the Legal 500 EMEA 2012-2018
Leading Lawyer on Financial & Corporate Law by IFLR1000 | 2020 Rankings
Recognized by Best Lawyers since 2015
2018 Leading Complex Commercial and Corporate Law Adviser Awards - Angelos Paphitis
Listed in Top 100 Lawyers by LegalComprehensive.Com
Certified Will Writing Practitioner by STEP
Ranked in Chambers Europe 2017 on Dispute Resolution
Listed in Top 25 Lawyers in Cyprus
- Barrister at Law (2001), Gray's Inn, London, UK
- Called to the Cyprus Bar (2004), Cyprus Bar Association
- Trust and Estate Practitioner (STEP), holder of TEP title (full STEP member since 2005)
- International Tax Planning Association (ITPA), certified member (since 2005)
- Insolvency Practitioner, member of the Cyprus Insolvency Practitioners Association (since 2015)
- SHARP International Representation: Actively representing electronics giant SHARP International, focusing on their EU structuring and operational strategies.
- Global Trademark Registration: Currently managing the registration of over 100 trademarks for a multi-national corporation across more than 20 countries worldwide. This task involves navigating through various international intellectual property frameworks, including the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO), and numerous local trademark registries.
- High-Profile Mergers & Acquisitions: Successfully handled a high-profile M&A transaction in Cyprus. My role involved representing a Joint Venture during the negotiations, conducting thorough legal and tax due diligence, and contributing to the overall evaluation for the acquisition of a major hospital in Cyprus. This project demanded an ability to efficiently manage complex, multi-faceted transactions.
- LCIA Arbitration Support Worth of $1.4 billion in Cyprus: Representing a major Russian logistic and transport public company in arbitration proceedings at the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA). Successfully secured interim prohibitory orders against two Cypriot companies, safeguarding a $1.4 billion debt following a leveraged buyout agreement from 2012. For more information click here.
- Russian Production Group Representation: Actively defending a large Russian production group against multiple applications by a minority shareholder for the appointment of an interim receiver/manager, aiming to control or preserve the group's assets in Russia.
- Investor Action Against Banc de Binary: Representing 77 investors in a case of fraud and conspiracy against Banc de Binary investment group in Cyprus, focusing on financial misconduct and intentions to defraud.
- EMI Representation Against Central Bank of Cyprus: Advocating for an Electronic Money Institution in Cyprus in a case against the Central Bank of Cyprus for rights violations due to procedural delays, resulting in client damages.
- Private Hospital Acquisition Deal: Representing two investors in the potential $30 million acquisition of a majority stake in a private Cyprus hospital.
- High-Net-Worth Individual Dispute Resolution: Acting for a prominent Russian billionaire in disputes over matrimonial assets in Cyprus.
- BTC-E Scandal €38 million Legal Victory: Represented Sergey Mayzus and his companies in the BTC-E scandal, securing over €38 million in compensation for reputational damage and losses. For more information click here.
- Corporate Fraud of €25 million Defense: Defended 5 clients in a €25 million corporate fraud case, successfully opposing interim orders and achieving the cancellation of a court-issued interim order.
- Cyprus Holding Company €47 million Legal Challenge: Engaged by a Cyprus holding company in a €47 million claim, successfully objecting to an attempt to freeze client assets and leading to the withdrawal of the claim.
- Legal Success on Obtaining an Interim Receivership Court Order: Represented a Ukrainian businesswoman, obtaining an ex-parte appointment of an Interim Receiver/Manager over five Cyprus companies with significant agricultural assets in Ukraine.
- LL.B (Hons) Law, London South Bank University
- LL.M on Commercial & Corporate Law, UCL, University of London
- BVC (Barrister), Bar Vocational Course, City University, London – Inns of Court School of Law
- PgD on International Tax Law, Robert Kennedy College, Zurich, Switzerland.
- Cyprus Bar Association,
- Limassol Bar Association,
- Honorable Society of Gray’s Inn, London,
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP),
- Cyprus Insolvency Practitioners Association,
- International Bar Association,
- International Tax Planning Association,
- International Law Office,
- International Trademarks Association,
- Cyprus – Russia Business Association,
- Cyprus – China Business Association,
- Cyprus Chamber of Commerce and Industry,
- Limassol Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
What they say
Angelos is a very professional lawyer. I cooperated with Angelos for more than 10 years and can recommend him as totally reliable and responsible partner.
Arsene D., Head of Legal Department at Association of Advocates, Moscow.
Angelos and his team have provided Hatch Energy Group with first class legal and financial support during the formation of our Group Corporate Head Quarters in Cyprus.
Steve Hatch, Managing Director, Hatch Energy Group
Angelos is a very experienced professional advocate and legal advisor. He's been assisting us in a number of complicated projects and always supported us with perfectly performed ideas. By now Angelos provides legal and corporate servicing for us with the highest level of professionalism and confidentiality. He always brings the solution you need.
Nikita Y, Director of Energy Group, Ukraine
Angelos Paphitis is a highly experienced and proactive lawyer, able to provide services that are practical, commercial-minded and tailored to clients’ needs.
IFLR1000 2020 edition
We have been working closely with Angelos Paphitis for nearly 15 years now. He is a very knowledgeable, strategic and highly active lawyer. Apart from being an exceptional lawyer, he also sees the business side of our tasks which is truly helpful. He is an outstanding professional and a highly skilled advocate.
Legal500 EMEA 2022 Edition
‘We have been working closely with Angelos Paphitis for nearly 15 years now. He is a very knowledgeable, strategic and highly active lawyer. Apart from being an exceptional lawyer, he also sees the business side of our tasks which is truly helpful. He is an outstanding professional and a highly skilled advocate.
Legal500 EMEA 2022 Edition
Angelos Paphitis – proactive approach, client oriented attitude, always ready to help.
Legal500 EMEA 2022 Edition
‘Angelos Paphitis – very experienced, highly qualified, business-oriented.’
Legal500 EMEA 2022 Edition
“Proactive and a solution finder.”
IFLR1000 2023 Edition
“Deep understanding of the case from all sides, creative approach to solving client’s problems.”
IFLR1000 2023 Edition